Frequently Asked Questions

Resident FAQs

You can burn leaves if you have a burn permit from the Fire Chief. You are not allowed to burn trash of any kind within city limits.

Only on designated days approved by Ordinance. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd of July  between the hours of 8:00 AM and 11:00 PM, on the 4th of July between 8:00 AM and 11:59 PM, and on the 5th of July between 8:00 AM and 10:00 PM.

Not necessarily, it depends on the actual location.

The property owner has responsibility for upkeep of sewer laterals out to and including the connection to the City sewer main. In many cases this will require a street cut, so beside a sewer permit, an excavation permit will be necessary.

The burn site is open from sun-up to sun-down. Construction materials are not accepted. Those will need to be taken to the Pottawatomie County Landfill.

Non-emergent calls are routed through the City Office during the day but go directly to dispatch in the evenings. Having a dispatch center at the police department was a duplication of services.

The City electric department is responsible for maintaining the electric lines that lead from a transformer to the meter, so if there are sagging lines or branches are getting into the lines, report the problem to the City Office.